Monday, October 14, 2013

They Say It's Your Birthday

How was your weekend? Mine was fabulous! It was my birthday weekend, ya know, part of my birthday month! It all started with a shortened work day on Friday. A few of us went out for a late lunch at The Gate House. I had a burger with brie and apple slices, yum! I also started the weekend with a blackberry pear cider, double yum!


We followed lunch with a short walking tour of some art around Village Gate.

New Paley sculpture at the MAG

One of the Wall Therapy murals from 2012.

After the walking tour I headed home and met Molly for a run on the canal. The weather was perfect, the leaves were colorful and I had a blast. When Rob got home he presented me with my birthday gifts.  Even though my birthday was still two days away, neither of us are patient when it comes to giving (or getting) gifts.

A new juicing cook book, sweaty band and a gift card
for a massage from my favorite place, lucky me!

My first wife card!!!

On Saturday I woke up and Rob offered to make me breakfast. Oatmeal, sweetened with blue agave nectar and raspberries.


For the past three years we have spent my birthday weekend at the Hunt Races in Geneseo tailgating and celebrating with Rob's work. It was super sunny and hot this year, we both got a bit of sunburn.


After the Hunt Races, Rob and I drove from Geneseo to Watkins Glen where my parents were camping with the Wright family. This is the third or fourth year they have participated in their Halloween weekend. Basically they decorate the two campsites like crazy and hand out candy to the camping trick-or-treaters. Of course I forgot to take pictures of how cool it looked, but it was sort of like this...

Actually this is way cooler!

After a great campfire and a cruddy nights sleep, thanks loud neighbors, I woke up to "Happy Birthday" being sung to me. We ate breakfast and shortly after Rob and I decided to go to Watkins Glen State Park to hike the gorge.


I thought this was as exciting as it got!
I was impressed right away.

I didn't know there was so much climbing
involved. 832 steps, woah.

Birthday girl and her husband.

These photos don't really capture
the grand scale of the gorge.

After we got to the end/top we took
a different trail back. There were
a lot less people and it was much
drier, and sunnier and prettier! 

After hiking the gorge we headed back to the campsite to enjoy a yummy homemade lunch with the folks and then we made our way back north to Fairport. The drive home was beautiful, Rob slept, I had the radio off, window down and just enjoyed the sunny, fall day. A great way to start my 32nd year.

No comments:

Post a Comment