Monday, September 30, 2013

Race Report- Iron Angel 5k


Well I did it, my first official race as a Warchol! That's my married name, just in case you didn't know. Yup, I got to go to the second half of the alphabet line at pack pick up, exciting stuff. It did dawn on me that when my dad and I run the same race that our numbers wont be consecutive, so that is a little. Any who, back to the race report...


About 14 months ago a local teacher, triathlete, mother, wife, etc. was hit and killed by not one, but two drunk drivers while out on an early morning training bike ride. This incident affected the community immensely and the trial and the out come was just as disheartening. Last year a small community run/walk was held in her honor, but this year the group of women she trained with, Moms in Motion (MIM's), held a larger, timed run and walk as a fundraiser for the trust for her two small children. To check out more info or to donate go here. I found out that some of my friends were running and I thought this would be a great jump back into running since it was for such a great cause. The race was capped at 500 and I signed up after the deadline to get a shirt, but I went to packet pick up on the first night and got a shirt anyway!

Great shirt, a little big and white, but happy to get one!

On Sunday morning I woke up and got ready. There is so little prep that is involved when preparing for a 5k, I love it! Plus I now realize how much I over did it when I was a newbie. I swung by and picked up Molly and then I headed to the Tucker house to pick up Evan and Abby. The four of us arrived at center park, we were greeted by smiling volunteers and a parking spot, nice! We walked to the main building at the park and caught up with fellow friends and runners and chatted while we waited for the pre-race ceremony. 

Gathering for the start. Great family atmosphere race!

Molly and I ran into three of our girls who participated in Girls on The Run this spring and it was great to see them out at a race. As an additional fundraiser MIM's was also selling HFB memorial items.


Around 8:50am Heather's husband spoke and a letter from one of her friends was read, also two of her colleagues sang the National Anthem. There was a solemn tone, but it was clear that everyone who came was there to fight the good fight. Everyone was so positive and supportive, I wish all races had this kind of vibe.

Evan & Abby


Me and Molly, back in the game!

At 9am the gun went off and down the field we went. I have neglected to say that the course was a cross country course. I had heard at packet pick up that the course was very challenging and I was a little hesitant about running on the hilly, damp grass. The weather was amazing and the course was partially shaded so that was a bonus. The course was hard for sure, but it was lined with smiley volunteers, both MIM's and the Fairport Cross Country team. Everyone was so encouraging, cheery and happy to be out there. Even though my time was pretty slow and I did walk a few of the hills, I was so happy to be out there. As Molly and I came into the finish line our friends (and strangers) were cheering us on, love that feeling.

Only missing Thea who couldn't wait for us slowpokes!
I honestly can't say a bad thing about this race. Except for maybe that the course was challenging, but that probably has something to do with the lack of running lately!! It was a great morning and I am so happy to be able to help a worthy cause.

Ever run a memorial race?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steph! I was there also. definitely know where I could do hill repeats now. It was a beautiful course and morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool!! I really enjoyed it. Got any other races coming up soon?

      Delete